Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Asha 501 - Problems Compiled HERE

Counsellor
AbhayK

Asha 501 - Problems Compiled HERE

[ Edited ]

Hello members,

I felt there should be a compilation of all the defects/problems/complains towards Asha 501 phone ONLY in one thread. Every one also adds their own observations and experience with the Asha 501 than it will be easy for the others to read and hopefully for the Nokia team to look into the complains as well.

Here is the list:

1. PDF Reader, MS Office Documents viewer/editor (the inbuilt app is not at all good with .xls & .ppt files to view)
  2. No Cut/Copy/Paste feature outside browsers for the documents viewed within them and from the app "Notes"
  3. No feature to minimise opened apps and switch between them.
  4. Recent call logs don't display date for last 7 days other than days following past week . There is only "time" displayed for the calls last 12 hour and "name of the day ( ex: Fri, Sat or Sun )" for the last 7 days.
  5. No option to clear a single Fastlane entry
  6. The Music Library shows the name of the song(s) NOT as per the title of mp3's saved in  the "Music Folder" of the Memory Card/Phone Memory
  7. The Music Library search function hides a significant portion of "search results" due to the pop up of the keyboard. As a result, it's difficult ( almost impossible ) to view more than ( or nearest ) 2 results.
  8. Can't delete pre-installed apps
  9. Facebook and Twitter app seems a lot buggy with their notifications are almost non-existent and stopped working ( in many cases )
  10. Support for "Alarms" to work when the phone is switched off. Low model non-touchscreen nokia handsets do have this feature and it ould be great addition to touchscreen models as well.
  11. "Alarms" sound is too low for custom music selected as "alarm tone"
  12. Option for "Counters" to "Clear counters" daywise and not clear entire history to date
  13. Screen turns off completely while you are attending a call and requires to push "home" key. A better and easy approach to this is requested, mostly, keeping the screen ON always while the Call is active.
  14. Java apps supported but no access to stuff online that requires java? Browsers lack support for Java plug-in
  15. Support for Whatsapp
  16. Support for custom "Wallpaper for home screen" to choose from Memory card/Phone Memory
  17. Support for Flash in Browsers to view /flv videos and play saved content
  18. Support for higher file sizes to upload in Emails as attachments
  19. Support for compression tools like .zip or .rar, etc.
  20. Addition of "Battery icon" and display "date" on the pull down notification centre.

Please provide your list in a concise manner so as to track down as many user responses as possible.

Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

Re: Asha 501 - Problems Compiled HERE

@ AbhayK :

I support most of the points that you raised ! 

1,8,11,13,""""""15"""""",18 th Points are of higher priority which  nokia should consider.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
vsai

[ Edited ]

I agree with satyam.....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AbhayK

[ Edited ]

9. Facebook app seems a lot buggy with their notifications are almost non-existent and stopped working ( in many cases )

>>> REPORTED FEEDBACK [ HERE ] <<<

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tatieu

some points

the contacts birthday dates are not reported in the agenda

does not receive mms supperior to 300 kb

Please use plain text.
Altrac

background sync in email app not working on mobile data, tested using yahoo and gmail, some user reported to be workin on wifi, personally i have never tested on wifi...

Please use plain text.
Sage
vsai

even over wifi...somtimes the phone gets switched off and turn back on.. very often...it happens over and over again until it gets completely synched...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
anand206

Incase of my Handset, The message tone is not working on arrival of new message. But when I am in the middle of reading a message thread and another message arrives in the same thread then only the tone is working. Not sure what is the issue? Any Ideas any one?:smileysad:

Also the copy and paste support issue is driving me crazy, I am not even able to message a contact number to another friend.. :smileysad:

Even the calender events are acting stupid.. Its displaying the 2014 year dates as coming up birthdays... :smileyfrustrated:

Also when we try to change the message/alarm tone, it throws all the songs in memory card at our face to choose from.. Atleast they should have included the feature of selecting the message/alarm tone from the file browser/music library.. This feature is available in non touch phones also, not sure what happend when coming to this one??? :confused:

Regards,
Anand
Please use plain text.
bkarthichml

nokia 501 has no option to personalise GENERAL and SILENT profiles. It get vibrate or not vibrate for both SILENT and GENERAL modes.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kunalsshah

In fact I was sold "Nokia Asha 501" yesterday..after the dealer told me that the Whats App is supported in it..now I realize that its not supported...really frustrating!!!
Please use plain text.
mithun123

HI 

Can someone help me out here

i got a new asha 501,and when making calls many times the call goes a bit messy with voice getting cut,even during full range,i dint have this problem with my old nokia phones,i tried puting the sim into another phone and problem got resolved,i guess this is issue with some codec,can someone help me out here

Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

@kunalsshah :

Go to him and just slap on his face ! However we cant do it to nokia because they always say coming soon coming soon ! :smileyvery-happy: :cursing: Marketing strategy 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
smartasha

The most annoying problem is I cant minimize apps i.e. the phone can't multitask.

I am sure I can find phones of other brands offering multitasking feature in this price range.

Please use plain text.
Sage
chromecat

Hello,

Your suggestions are good food for thought, but I think some of them are not realistic, at least for the current generation of Asha devices...

Others would be nice improvements, though.

1 - This is due to technical limitations of the platform.  See my post here: https://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Asha-and-other-Nokia-Series-30/pdf-reader-for-asha-311/m-p/2128113#...

3 - this is an OS limitation, not likely to change

- agreed, they should fix it

- agreed, they should fix it

8 - this is the same for example non-rooted android devices, not likely to change 

9 - agreed, they should fix it

10 - agreed, it would be nice to have. As a workaround, if you put your phone to flight mode, the alarm will still activate but the phone will use considerably less power.

11 - agreed, they should fix it

12 - this would be nice to have

13 - powering off the screen during conversation is a power saving feature, your suggestion has questionable benefit. Besides, most people are not capable of sensing light with their ears :smileyhappy:  Automatic screen poweron would require a proximity detector (plus hardware omitted due to cost-saving).

14 - the two javas are different and not compatible. The phone has J2ME (Mobile java), the websites use desktop java (J2SE). 

15 - it would be nice to have

17 - flash seems to be less and less supported, even deprecated on most mobile platforms. I don't think it'll come.

18 - this is likely due to a technical limitation (either device heap size or bandwidth consideration on the supporting background services - since Nokia email is proxied)

19 - this is possible to implement by a third party but not part of other mobile OSes, either

20 - it would be nice to have

Nokia Lumia 520 3046.0000.1329.2001 RM-914
Nokia Asha 302 V15.09 22-05-13 RM-813
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AbhayK

Connecting Asha 501 via USB cable to PC often doesn't work at all. The PC won't show the driver connected under "removable drives" list after plugging Asha 501 via USB Cable

- A persistent problem in Windows 7 / 8. Not checked with XP

- Possibly Windows 7 blocks the access due to default installation in Program Files ( and no way to grant adminstrator rights during installation )

- Currently the phone needs to be switched off once, restart and then plug in the USB Cable and connect to the PC which works perfectly fine.

It means phone needs to be switched off once, everytime you restart the PC for the Driver to get recognized!

The problem needs to be looked into with a future update.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
deutsche

the cell is making a beep sound frequently... the screen shows playtone for a fraction of second and i can't find it in settings...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sailakshmi

[ Edited ]

my handset is getting switched off all the time even if i have full battery it is getting switched off in middle of running programs with a beep running sound please can anyone help me.....................please..................urgent......i am worried what happened to my phone its brand new pls help me..................

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Skartreuse

[ Edited ]
  • When entering messaging app (without opening any text conversasions) and exiting, notifications disappear.
  • Edit dictionary. (for accidental addition of words) I've accidentally added a bunch of misspelled words to my dictioonary.
  • Faster keyboard switching.
  • Traditional and customizable Nokia sound profiles. e.g. Meeting, Outdoors, etc.
  • Change brightness of glance screen. (I'd like it a little dimmer)
  • Adding an exclamation point or question mark after a text correction doesn't type it next to the word, e.g. "text correction !" or "text correction ?"
  • Calling app should bring up contacts with phone numbers that match entered numbers. So if I type 224 it will bring up suggestions from my contacts that have numbers with 224 in them.
  • Custom fonts would be a nice addition.
  • Battery percentage number options in settings. (Question: Is there a symbol for when the battery is fully charged?)
  • Sort by file type in file manager.
  • Ringtones placed in the Tones folder should not appear in the music player.
  • There's an ad at the start/bookmark page of the Xpress Browser.
  • Allow users to disable emojis. (There was one user who had ticket numbers being changed to emojis)
  • It'd be nice to have the option of customizing what swipe does what. For example, I only swipe from the right when I want to close an app. I'd like to use a swipe from the left as a back key.

I think cut and paste is a necessity. Agree with archive apps. Agree with deleting pre-installed apps. I don't feel flash is necessary. Whatsapp is already supported by now. I don't think the screen has to be on during calls but it would be nice to have an option.

Deleting single Fast Lane entries is possible for me. Hold down on one entry and then X's appear to the right of each entry.

I wish there were an official page to submit all this feedback but I guess this is just as good.

As an overall solution, more options means more customization which allows people to make the phone suit their own personal preferences. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anand206

Firstly I am very impressed with the update Nokia has provided recently.

I wish to have the following features mainly in the next versions,

1) Copy Paste Feature (I am not sure why they haven't included in previous update even lot of people were requesting for it)

2) Show the music files sorted by Albums atleast when the ring tone needs to be selected from Music.

3) As someone above suggested, Ringtones that are put in my_tones folder should not appear in music library

4) Also make sure that fastlane show only appointments that are very near (At least a week not an year).

does any body have any idea whether Nokia is working on any other update for Asha.?

Regards,
Anand
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Belwas

I would appreciate it if somebody could port the functionality to sync via SyncML. Felt very sad when i heard that there's no possibility right now.

Please use plain text.